In 1918 there was an epidemic disease, which caused the death of Mrs. Tolhurst and the return of H. L. Tolhurst to Australia. B. E. Hadfield at Faleloa School replaced him. Soon after this the school was relocated at Houma, on main Tongatapu Isalnd. At this time the numbers of missionaries and school pupils were decreasing, but in 1921 the move was accomplished. Mr. E. E. Thorpe was headmaster at Houma and by 1924 there were 16 boarding students.
In the latter part of 1924 Mr. C. S. Parler arrived to become first Principal at Houma and at that time were 50 boarding students, four of whom were female. Then Sione Latu, a student from Avondale College, Australia; came to teach in this school. Students numbers grew until there was not enough land to support them at this site, so a new location was required.
Mr. R. W. Smith sought this new land and aquired 80 acres at Vaini, where Beulah College still stands. In 1926 Mr C. S. Palmer returned to Australia for health reasons and Mrs Smith (the President’s wife) filled his position, until 1927, when L. H. Tolhurst returned, re-married.
In the beginning of 1928 Tolhurst became President of the mission and B.E. Hadfield, Principal of Beulah. School standards and pupils numbers steadily improved until 1933, when 3 students passed Government Examinations. They were Lopeti Tinitolo, Ika Takau and Peni Finau.
Although these students did so well, Beulah was not yet recognized as a College. In 1933, L. H. Tolhurst and P.E. Hadfield again reversed roles. Under the leadership of L.H. Tolhurst in 1934, the school grew and public exam results were so good that the Government Education Department accepted this school standard and in 1937 it became officially known as Beulah College.
In 1938, A. E. Watts became Principal in place of Tolhurst; more buildings were built and in 1939 HRH Queen Salote opened the Schoolhouse. (It was at this time that Mrs. Watts designed and introduced the girls uniform, which is still worn today.)
Because of World War 2, Europeans had to leave Tonga and return to their home countries and Paula Halatoa Fua became the acting Principal until the war was over. During the war years, because the materials were unobtainable, the uniform was made from khaki material.
In 1945 J. Cerknik was called to be Principal and exam results were really improved and during his Principalship, Queen Salote gave the College 100 acres of land.
In 1951 A. H. Dawson came from Australia to replace J. Cennik as Principal of a rapidly growing Beulah College. In 1955 the college bought more land leased previously by Ramsey and D. Powell replaced A. H. Dawson. At this stage the College went only as far as class 8 (or Form 2) and the only public exam available for them was the Lower Leaving Certificate. It was desirable to upgrade this offering to Tonga Higher Leaving Certificate and for this purpose G. N. Sutcliff came on to the teaching staff from Australia. In 1959 E. Arthur replaced D. Powell and ‘Iunisi Palu became the first student to sit and pass Tonga Higher Leaving Certificate. As a result of this, many more students enrolled and studies went right up to Form 4. In 1963, A. Sonter replaced E. Arthur.
During the years of A. Sonter the school aimed at raising standards to Form 5, New Zealand School Certificate. Unfortunately, before this could be accomplished, A. Sonter was transferred to Fulton and his Deputy, P. Trustcott became principal P. Trustcott, in spite of determined affort, also was transferred to Fulton before this standard could be raised. Mr. Edgworth became new Principal in 1972 and a small number of students was allowed to sit, unsuccessfully, for New Zealand School Certificate. Soon after he returned and his Deputy G. Hawke became Principal. In 1974 L. Hughes replaced G. Hawke for only one year. These changes produced uncertainty and a decline in academic performance. In 1975 David Sutcliffe took the position of Principal until 1977. Neamani Tausere from Fiji, the first Pacific Islander to become Principal of Beulah, stayed for only one year before taking further study in the Philippines.
In 1979-1981 D. Caldwell, Principal of Beulah College, served for a number of nine years. Tesimale Latu, the first Tongan Principal, from the island of TUNGUA in the Ha’apai Group, replaced him. In the same year, 1982, the result of the New Zealand School Certificate was most rewarding, and successive years saw higher academic results and enrolments, both for Tonga Higher Leaving Certificate.
In 1986 for the first time, students sat for the University Entrance exam (From 6). There was a positive result as Vanessa A Latu passed all her subjects. This has continued to improve until the present day.
After Tesimale Latu’s reign of six years, he traveled to Australia for further study and Edgar Butler from Australia became acting Principal for only one year.
In 1989 Edgar returned and ‘Apisai Mahe became the second Tongan Principal of this college. In 1992 ‘Apisai left for further studies in New Zealand and his position was filled by Mark Hansen.